Farewell, America

Today is my last full day on US soil.  I guess I should pack.

In all seriousness, I'm not packed.  I have a mental checklist. I have everything (I think) I need in order to make the transition easier.  I have been going over all my clothes in my head to see what I need and what can stay in a box until I return.  I just haven't pulled on the zipper that opens the suitcase.

Let's move on to things I have done.  I have completed the application to open my UK bank account.  I sent it over about a week ago, and I heard from the banking agent today, asking me to give her my phone number so she can ask a few questions.  I gave her my US number, but I don't know if she's going to call internationally or not.  I don't know what information she needs, nor do I figure I can answer her questions if they fall outside of the realm of my name at this point.

I finished my term as a middle school teacher.  While I was only with them for three weeks, my experience ran the gamut of possibilities.  Hearing and vision tests, book fairs, scheduled computer lab visits, and the simple concept of having to walk them to and from the restroom all strained my attempts to make a schedule and stick to it.  I learned a lot about the kids, and I even had to learn the protocol for punishment and reward.

I have now planned a meeting with my Fulbright mentor! We are meeting to have dinner this week, and I am very excited to talk to someone that knows the area well and can guide me in the right direction.

On Sunday, there was a surprise luncheon for me at my favorite Chinese restaurant.  The room was full of family and friends, and it was a lovely time.  I had already said goodbye to Melanie, Erik, and Isy the night before, so it was completely unexpected to see them at the restaurant.  Nova drove down to attend, and I wasn't sure that I would be able to see her before leaving.  As for my family, I had either said my goodbyes or had assumed I wouldn't have the chance. Seeing everyone there was a real shock, and I enjoyed spending time with them before leaving.

I also just received a lovely present in the mail from a friend! I got an email this morning from Cheryl, telling me that she had mailed my surprise on Saturday.  When I read the email, I was afraid it would take too long to get here, seeing as I have been having some trouble receiving things when promised.  Less than ten minutes after reading her email, our mail carrier knocked on the door.

I feel very fortunate that I have friends and family that are willing to go out of their way to make me feel special. Between the party, the presents, and simple things like phone calls and Facebook messages, I have been feeling very loved this week.  It makes it a bit harder to leave them all here, but I know they're all looking out for me and waiting to hear about my great adventure.

My next post will come to you from Belfast!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment