Of a clandestine nature

Well, the event I mentioned in my last post has come to pass, and, if you were in or around QUB today, you've no doubt figured out what it was. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was visiting QUB for a summit on industry in Northern Ireland and the relationship between the US and Northern Ireland, particularly with regard to the technology sector. She also had meetings at Stormont Parliament on the remaining terrorist (sectarian) violence in Belfast. Note: Before anyone starts freaking out about me being in a terrorist zone, I should point out that Northern Ireland actually has the lowest crime and violence rates in all of Europe. Now.

I was told I had to be through security by 10:30am. At every point, I was told, "Students are not attending this event." And, each time, I would reply, "My name's on the list. I'm to attend." They would check their lists and, amazingly, my name would be there! I found out later that only five students were invited -- the student union president and vice president, the two Mitchell Scholars at QUB, and myself. We were left to mingle with various business folk, which didn't work out so well. Many of them, it turned out, were being asked to speak in the summit and were nervous and practicing what they had to say on their fellows.

When it was time for the summit to begin, those participating were shuffled into the meeting room, and the Mitchell Scholars and I were positioned on the side of the room. Among others, I got to meet Lieutenant General Paul Selva, who was incredibly kind and seemed genuinely interested in my research and volunteer ambitions. Next, Secretary Clinton came in, briefly shook hands, and moved into the meeting room. At this point, we decided that we should head down to the Great Hall, where her speech would later take place, in order to actually have a seat.

The speech she gave was good. She discussed the strides that have been made in the past 15 years in the Northern Irish industry. Technology has boomed here, and NI corporations have actually supplied jobs to Americans. There are issues yet to be resolved, but the process is positive on the whole.

After the speech, Secretary Clinton gave us a few minutes of her time. She was pleased to see three students at QUB on two of the most prestigious scholarships from the US. She said it illustrates the positive growth NI has shown -- Mitchell Scholars can choose anywhere in Ireland to study, and I could have chosen anywhere in the UK.

Mitchell Scholars may also be bright, but they do not know when a picture is being taken.

In other news, it looks like I may be moving. My experiences with QUB accommodation have pushed me to my limits, and I delivered a long letter today requesting to be let out of my contract. I argued a bit with the accommodation manager, who first wanted to move me to another building. If I had only had one problem, I might would have gone with this option. However, I had a list of four big reasons I didn't want to stay, the worst of which was that I do not have electricity (again). I calmly explained that I am at the end of my rope. She is going to confirm that a student can be brought up from the waiting list tomorrow morning, but we have tentatively set Friday as my last day here. Hooray for greener pastures!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am here and trying to keep up on all that you are doing

Post a Comment